Thursday, September 18, 2008

Purpose

I was listening to Nora Young yesterday on 'Spark'. She was talking about what makes a good blog.
I need to define a purpose for this thing. So far I am just playing around and getting my feet wet. That is okay for me.
It is what I encourage my students to do whenever they encounter something new; they should play. We can learn quite a lot through playing.
I write in my journal every day. I write in there for a few reasons. One is I enjoy the physical act of writing. I enjoy the way the pen moves across the page. I like to form letters with my hand. In some ways it is a form of physical/mental therapy. I exercise my hand and wake up my brain.
Much of what I write is really boring, trivial stuff. I make notes of the things I have to do that day or things that happened the day before. Sometimes I record my dreams. They can be incredibly creative.
Why do I write it?
I do it in part for my children. I want them to have a record of their father. They may be disappointed to learn that I was so vacuous and boring but it may inspire them to not be so.
Now I come to 'purpose'. Who will read this? Why would anyone care about my musings on anything? What is the purpose of this blog?
I think I need to look at other people's blogs and see what does and doesn't work for me. Over the next few days I will hopefully develop a more clear purpose. In the meantime, sorry to anyone who stumbles across this and has to put up with my aimless ramblings. If anyone does read this and has any suggestions, I believe there is an option to leave comments.

3 comments:

TheWhitePearl said...

Frankus-

Didn't know you had a blog! I am going to add you to my blog list :)

One is I enjoy the physical act of writing. I enjoy the way the pen moves across the page. I like to form letters with my hand. In some ways it is a form of physical/mental therapy.

I am the exact same way. I actually have a small journal that I keep with me at all times because inspiration strikes me at the oddest times. I always want to remember the smallest things, since I don't have a camera following me around every day-although I'm sure if I did that would be a number one show because like you said i'm nutty-in a good way.

Any way sorry to go a mini-blog of my own. But with you on the writing vs. typing. And they way the pen goes over paper. Plus I like my handwriting.

Ok I'm done.

shpadoinkle!

Laurie said...

Hey Frankus - sorry, I should have posted to you ages ago. I think you've got a very good "blog sense", if you like. I know when I started doing it in July, I thought I'd just write random ideas, mini-essays, etc. But I discovered that, for me at least, a themed blog worked best, so I started writing about my adventures on the road. That sort of provided a framework within which I could put all of the other stupid things I write, so that, even though they are disconnected, the author's "voice" remains congruent.

So, I deliberately went for a "broader" Australian accent and idiom, even in the more serious pieces (of which there are only a couple, so far).

anyway, I'm gonna add you to my list now. Get writing, boy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Frankus, I journal, too. It's a must for my mental health. I like writing by hand and on the computer, but mostly do it by hand these days. I am glad to see you started your blog. I've added you to mine. Mine is a little too all over the place as I'm just getting my feet wet also. I mainly started it to share a particular essay, but it's become a bit more. Look forward to reading more. Take care!